How to knit with Rico Can Can yarn

The instructions for knitting with Rico’s new Can Can yarn are printed on the inside of the ball band.  However they are so tiny that it’s not very clear what you should do.  So I’ve made a video to show knitters how they can knit with Can Can yarn.

To buy or browse the shades available, please visit our website.

Vicky

Writen on August 29th, 2010 | with 76 comments

Posted in Knitting,Videos,Yarn

Tagged with , , ,

76 Responses to 'How to knit with Rico Can Can yarn'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'How to knit with Rico Can Can yarn'.

1. Does anyone know how to crochet with Can Can yarn? I saw it in a wool shop but forgot to ask

kate

7 Oct 11 at 3:53 pm

2. very helpful video. Is there anything else you can with it knit other than a scarf ?

sali

11 Oct 11 at 7:53 pm

3. I have completed the scarf but am at a loss as to how to neaten the ends, they look as though they will fray. I cannot see how they can be sewn when the yarn is such an open web.

Ann

18 Oct 11 at 6:26 pm

4. I’m not sure how to explain that bit to be honest. Underneath the frills, you’ll see where the stitches are for the row and the fabric is quite thick there. You just stitch it into there! It does work, I assure you! But if you can’t figure it out, then how about overlocking the ends (or zigzag on a sewing machine) to stop it fraying.

Vicky

19 Oct 11 at 9:02 am

5. Purchased the wool yesterday. Tip from shop assistant is to put a knot in wool before starting and finish it off into the seam. Great tutorial. Thank you.

Ann

1 Nov 11 at 1:39 pm

6. Thanks for your video. I watched it last night and it is definitely much better than the instructions on the band!

Having said that, I have tried a few rows but have noticed that my scarf is looking a bit floppy and loose. I guess I am doing something wrong but can’t put my finger on it. The actual loops on my knitting needles seem to be quite loose (slide across the needles really easily), how do I make them tighter? Do I have to be holding onto the yarn in a particular way? I am also noticing that even though I am making sure to take about 4cms of yarn each time, the actual loops on the needle seem to be quite close together.

Please help save my scarf! :-s

Saima

9 Nov 11 at 1:27 pm

7. Sorry Saima, I’m not really sure what to suggest. It sounds like you are doing all the correct things.

Vicky

14 Nov 11 at 8:08 pm

8. Thanks for the excellent video! :) I can now knit these scarves for my family! Now I have something I can easily do in my free time and they make an excellent gift :)

Caroline

7 Dec 11 at 11:03 pm

9. Just want to add my thanks for a wonderful video with very clear instructions. Many thanks.

Máire

20 Jan 12 at 1:31 pm

10. Very helpful video, unlike the ball label. When I compared notes with a fellow knitter, I realised that I had been using old size 7 needles (4 1/2 mm equivalent) but my 2 scarves with 7 & 5 stitches respectively turned out just fine. I did have problems with a knot in the yarn but the German manufacturers sent me helpful instructions before I saw those above.

Lynn S

27 Jan 12 at 4:59 pm

11. very helpful video, could i use this wool to make a snood the scarfs that go over the head ?

julie

16 Mar 12 at 8:42 pm

12. I suppose so. I’ve seen hats and bags made from it. But I don’t have any patterns I’m afraid.

Vicky

21 Mar 12 at 1:51 pm

13. Hi, vicky,
    have knitted a good few of these scarves now, after watching your video, wouldn’t have had a clue from the instructions on the ball, but the only problem I seem to have is no matter how I try I can’t get the wool to stop twirling and especially when I knit a second one from the same ball. Is there anything you can recommend.

Pat

7 Apr 12 at 1:03 pm

14. Hi Pat, I’m afraid that I’ve not come up with a way to stop it twirling either!

Vicky

10 Apr 12 at 11:58 am

15. hi.. I just finished the frill of my baby’s mini skirt with this yarn (red and black)and im going to continue to the top with regular red yarn (knit 2, purl 2)….so far looking ammazing!!!!
    Im planning to make a bolero set with the skirt using the same yarn for the collar and cuffs..fingers crossed..

Nour

16 Feb 13 at 8:54 am

16. I’m on my 4th scarf at the moment and am using red yarn for the first time. I’ve found the red has two breaks in the yarn which have been sewn up but on the wrong side so that the seam shows when it’s knitted.
    I had to cut it and resew it so that the seam was on the back of the frill. I foound no breaks in the grey, black or purple yarn so I don’t know why the red is like that.
    I also found that the end where you cast on flares out more than the cast off edge so I decided to try casting on without 4cm spacing and have found it doesn’t flare out if you do that.

Mary

21 Mar 13 at 12:51 pm

17. OMG I love this yarn…. The skirt and cardi set are amazing and oh how i loved everybody’s reaction about it… Usually this yarn is used 4 zcarves but i tried something new and it turned out wonderful… Check it out on ravelry.com on this link: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/newmama2011/can-can-mini-skirt-and-bolero-set

Nour

21 Mar 13 at 5:06 pm

18. Into my fifth scarf now but that little skirt from Nour looks great so I might knit one for my grand daughter :-)

Mary

22 Mar 13 at 7:28 am

19. Go for it Mary it is sooooo cute… The part where u move from can can to regular yarn is a bit tricky… What i did is this: I grabbed extra stitches between the stitches of the last can can row. This got me the number of stitches I needed for the regular yarn.. From there on I went k2 p2 all the way up…. Try it and have fun…. The cardi is an entirely different story though.. Love

Nour

22 Mar 13 at 12:08 pm

20. Thanks Nour. Lily loves anything girlie and that really fits the bill :-)

Mary

25 Mar 13 at 10:05 pm

21. How do you workout the length of the scarf

PD

9 Feb 14 at 10:11 pm

22. I’m not sure what you mean. I just knit until it reaches the length I want.

Vicky

13 Feb 14 at 12:40 pm

23. Hi,
    Just about to start a scarf and I have lost the ball band. Can you please remind me which is the correct side for casting on and how many stitches? I think it is 18 but I would like you to clarify this for me. Many thanks.

Owlelf

16 Feb 14 at 12:23 pm

24. I only cast on between 5 and 8 stitches, depending on how wide I want it to be.

Vicky

18 Feb 14 at 9:42 am

25. What sized knitting needles do you use? I have just started with size 7 and the stitches are very loose.

katie